Babysitting jobs for many teenagers is a write of passage. You are now at an age where you no longer need a babysitter and old enough to be the babysitter. Babysitting jobs is an opportunity to earn that extra cash that every teenager can use. Some teens are ready the big responsibility of babysitting jobs and take to it naturally, while others kids are a little more cautious, uncomfortable, and maybe even a little nauseated at the thought.
About Baby Sitting Jobs
New to babysitting there is much you can do to become more comfortable and help things go smoother.
Babysitting Jobs Come With Responsibilities
1. When asked to take on babysitting jobs, particularly if the child is a baby, consider asking if you can first spend some unhurried time with the child and parent so you can learn the baby’s routine. Don’t try to do any training just prior to the time you are expected to babysit as the parents will be rushing around trying to get ready to leave.
2. Some babysitters get very alarmed with their firsts babysitting jobs. Babies cry, spit up, have strange colored BMs, or refuse more than two bites of their strained carrots. Ask the parent to explain ahead of time the usual quirks of their baby so you will understand what’s currently normal in the child’s world.
3. Young babysitters new to babysitting jobs are often not as attentive as the parent. You must understand that you are being given a very important adult type responsibility and take that responsibility seriously. Ask the parents to help minimize any potential “risks” you see by closing doors, putting up the baby gates and not leaving things out or on the floor that could pose a choking risk.
4. Ask the parents to explain to you and either take notes or ask the parents to give you a note that you can refer to later as to their expectations and anything special you need to be aware of. If the parents expect things to be done on a particular time line ask them to write this down or take your own notes.
5. The first time you babysit a child you have not taken care of before it is best to do it only for a few hours and make sure you have a contact phone number for the parents.
6. If you have a cellphone add the parents contact numbers to it. Ask if you can call or text them if you have any questions.
7. Babies and young children have short attention spans and require constant attention and they generally aren’t that good at entertaining themselves for longer than 3 minutes. Change toys, change rooms, change positions, change the channel.
8. Don’t invite your friends over to the house during babysitting jobs and don’t neglect your responsibilities by spending your time on the computer or cellphone instead of caring for the child. As you should easily recall from your own childhood experiences it only takes a few minutes out of your sight for something to potentially go wrong.
You may have younger siblings and therefore have some practice or perhaps you have never been around someone under 2 1/2 feet tall. But once you get instruction and encouragement and some practice under your belt you just might find yourself being that preferred babysitter for the important babysitting jobs.
To learn more about starting a childcare service visit SBA for government tools and resources.